"A sensual & user friendly experience...."


......It says that on the box......and does it fulfill.......oh yes!!
Having brought a graphics tablet this weekend I have fully adapted already and I am a total convert!  Although yes it takes a little getting used to there are an endless number of programable functions, the pen can be as sensitive as require it and in terms of editing....well it just feels natural!  I am editing pictures better, quicker and more efficiently.  It really is a great start to the week!  Yes I am sad and yes, this excites me!  So what tablet did I get, how much was it and a few FAQs for those digital artists or photographers that may be looking at their options.....

WACOM Intuos 3 A5 Tablet
  • Cost: £229.00
  • Colour: Grey
  • Size: 345 x 262 x 113mm with an active area of 203 x  152mm.
  • Pressure sensitivity: 1,024 levels
  • Connection: USB
  • Comes with: Pen with loads of nibs (very impressed!)  / board / mouse / cable / Pen Stand / Install CD and if you need it Coral Painter Essential  
First Impression?
Ahhhhhh - I think I am in love.  Its so lovely and shiny.  Would prefer it in black but hey, nothing is perfect!  (Apart from possibly the Mac Book Pro!)
Easy to use?
Initially if you are used to using a mouse it will take a while to get the feel for the pen and the way it reacts with your movements and your computer.  It is very intuitive and sensitive and once you have spent an hour or two navigating around Photo Shop or Illustrator and the rest of your computer and apps you will wander how you lived without it.  It also has programmable function buttons down the side which is great, i find these work well when swapping from app to app.
Did it really speed up editing time?
YES!  I can honestly say in the last few days I have been far more efficent in editing.  The clone tool in PS3 reacts as it should, the pressure sensitivity of the pen offering far better control and manipulation than a mouse or the track pad.  It is quick to jump across tools and alongside all the key shortcuts my Mac works as it should do and work just gets done.  Plus it feels good while I do it.  Editing can be really boring especially if you have batches of things and this just speeds it up, makes you more productive & above all, brings a little fun back!

Own a graphics tablet?  Want to review it or let me know what you think?  Got other tips and tricks for Photoshop or editing photographs that you want to share with readers?  Get in touch - carli@carli-art.co.uk