Thrifty Thursday....ironing those brain creases...


If there is one thing I wish I knew how to do better and which seems to baffle a lot of people I know, is marketing!  I have no issues with ideas just staying on track.  Anyway I therefore spend a decent amount of time attempting to improve my skills in this area byt making sure I dedicate 4 hours a week to customer research, by taking part in business seminars and by generally absorbing as much info as I can about getting what is in my head, onto paper and most importantly taking action in my business.  I have read various bits and bobs today so have a varied collection of crease free ideas for you and as always, these are collected from a range of sources...


  • Generate some brainstorming activity by opening any magazine and picking a page, point to a random word on that page and develop and generate your ideas from this word. Thanks to Nick Bettes from Nick Bettes Consulting.
  • Set up a nurturing timeline for your customers and clients to ensure you are keeping on top of your relationships.  Thanks to the mini fountain of knowledge otherwise known as 'How to sell clever things to big companies' by Carrie Bedingfield at One fish two fish.
  • Name characters or types of people (eg Your Gran, A policeman) and then number them 1 to 6.  Roll a dice and whatever number the dice lands on, then use this 'character' as a mindset from where to view your current marketing strategy.  This puts you in somebody else's shoes, or slippers if its your nan.  This winner is from Dave Stewart and his thoughts on creativity within business.
  • Leave the excuses at home.  Thanks Dr. Lisa Turner 
  • Look after your existing customers first, then search for more.  Ta very much John Cheney ceo of workbooks.com.
  • Last but by no means least this website 'Marketing for photographers' has a whole HEAP of bits from using facebook, having a phone script and taking senior portraits that are just a bit too sexy!