Every cloud.....

This weekend was meant to be a girls one, filled with fancy eateries, cocktails, a few too many glasses of wine & some good giggles.  Unfortunately the weekend has had to be cancelled so I found myself with some time to do some marketing......much needed yet still something I seem to put off.  "Sorry darling, is that the bathroom that needs cleaning, I'll be right there."  The taps have never looked so shiny.

Anyway it got me thinking about where I turn for help and little hints and tips I pick up along the way and I imagined, where other people trying to get into the photo biz may struggle or also need advise.  Now I have given some of this stuff before but never hurts to recap, some may seem obvious, really obvious but hey....I missed em so you never know, you might too.
  • Keep good records.  This includes everything coming in and out.  Believe me when you come to do your expenses or taxes it will save literally days of looking under the bed for receipts or having to fill in bloody excel spreadsheets with info.  It also helps you to see really how much money you are spending and more importantly, making!
  • Have a database of contacts.  Record as much info as possible, where they got your name from, jobs you have done for them, any comments or feedback they gave you.  This will help with future client targeting.
  • Look out for marketing events or workshops that offer you advise on business.  In the UK Business Link offer a great range; available online for your own study or held in various local venues.
  • Share your knowledge.  People love giving advise and others like receiving it.  Share what you know and it is amazing the things you learn in return.
  • Speak to other photographers or artists in your field.  Ask for help, seriously people are a lot nicer than you think.
  • Get a mentor.  I asked for a lot of help when i first started and still do.  I have a few people who I turn to for different advise.  Get involved with a local mentor group or agency or really make good contacts within the industry and don't be afraid to ask for advise & tips.  Although there are various government agencies offering business mentors which are excellent, often having a friend or someone you know in the same field as you is even better as the advise is far more bespoke and personal to you or your situation.
  • Write a marketing plan!! I never really wrote one I just collected post-it notes of ideas!  I am in the process of writing a marketing plan @ the moment and man it is hard, but I think it will help me gain focus.  I am also constructing a timeline and planner of what I will do and when.  Plus, I am setting myself a budget - dear Lord I always had trouble with those!
  • Shout about yourself.  Don't be worried about letting people know what you do, where you intend on getting and also where you are struggling.  You just never know how people can help you.
  • Offer help to others.  All good deeds are returned and the knowledge you share with others is just one way of creating a great supportive community around you.
  • Look at community events and how you can offer your services to the community or a cause and not only help them but bring exposure to your brand.
  • Think carefully about starting your business.  Get Advise.  I got bits and pieces but never really went to any workshops or had a plan in place, it just kind of happened.  It feels a little unstructured now and I am positive that if I had of done it properly then I would just be happier about what I am doing now and my goals for the next year.  Plus I would know how to continue the business from previous customers, the wave of new business only lasts so long.  Extending those offers and keeping customers returning or recommending even more customers is essential practice i should have learnt more about earlier!